This course will give students a basic understanding of the Irish legal system and employment law in Ireland.
Participants will develop an awareness of the main features of employment law and understand how legislation impacts on the employment relationship while becoming familiar with the legal language, procedures and documents relevant to the area of employment law. They will develop their advocacy skills and the ability to apply what they have learned to the workplace.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to;
- Outline the structures of the Irish legal system
- Outline the fundamentals of employment law
- Outline the role of a range of different institutions associated with regulating the employment relationship to include rights commissioners, labour relations commission, employment appeals tribunal, labour court, labour inspectorate, equality tribunal and the courts
- List the rights, entitlements, services and supports available to people in relation to employment
- Outline key Irish and EU directives and legislation which impact upon people in relation to employment law
- Outline the key processes relating to employment rights to include the preparation of appeals
- Demonstrate appropriate interpersonal skills in a one to one or group context to include active listening, interviewing, negotiation and representation skills
- Research information relevant to employment
All students must complete the following to receive their accreditation:
Skills Demonstration - 50%
Examination - Practical 50%
The cost of this course is €595. Full payment must be made before commencement of the course.
Trainers and Accreditation
This course is jointly run by Community Law & Mediation & Ballymun Community Law Centre. The course is accredited by Irish National Organisation of the Unemployed (provider code 380460).
Northside Civic Centre, Bunratty Road, Coolock, Dublin 17.
Date & Times
This course will run one day a week on a Tuesday for 12 weeks beginning: Tuesday 12th September from 10am to 2pm.
For an application form or more information please email our education section or call 01-847 7804