We welcome the Strategy Statement of the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission (IHREC), launched today. In our contribution to the consultation process, we recommended expansion of the legal aid system and strengthening of socio-economic rights as goals. The Strategy Statement is available here.
In its consultation, IHREC asked what we thought was needed to promote human rights and equality in Ireland. These are the priorities we felt were most important:
- Human rights and equality education for civil and public servants
- Human rights and equality proofing of all new legislation and budgets
- Reform of the Civil Legal Aid Scheme particularly around the issue of resources and exemptions
- Lobbying for a socio economic ground in equality legislation.
- Campaigning for the justiciability of economic, social and cultural rights, in line with the recommendation of the Constitutional Convention.